www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Generated Sources in SVN
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 00:53:08 GMT
On Nov 5, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Dan Diephouse wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> FWIW i tell people that generated documents do not require
>> headers. AIUI
>> it's the sources which are important from the copyright
>> perspective. be
>> good to know whether this is right or not then add something to the
>> legal FAQ...
>>
> This stance makes sense to me. Based on my limited legal knowledge,
> they're generated so there is no one who owns the copyright, unless
> we have a policy of going around and collecting CLAs from programs
> which I don't know about....  :-)

No, the copyright owner of the source file is the owner of the generated
file -- the lack of originality means that one cannot claim a new
copyright
just by generating the work, not that the ownership of the original
copyright disappears.

We don't require headers on generated files because they are a pain
in the butt to generate.  Headers are not required to preserve
copyright,
so there is no "legal" reason to provide them at all.  The reason we do
provide them is to inform the users that we have given them permission
to do Apache Licensed things with the code that copyright would
(normally)
prevent them from doing.  In other words, the header is just us being
nice to our users (and hopefully reducing future FAQs).

....Roy