www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: May we expose other products in wiki ?
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:56:41 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a question which may sound silly, but as we already have this kind
> of issue, I want to be sure that we don't do something stupid. Here is
> the question :
>
> - may we add pointers to commercial products in a wiki ?
>
> What we basically want to do is to list the Ldap Browser we know about,
> and add a minimal comparison with what we are building (LdapBrowser).
> - we have the link of the company,
> - tits price
     ^^^^

     | Personally, I see no problem with your proposal, so long as there
     | aren't any tits on the page :-)

> - supported OS
> - and some screen snapshots.

Seriously, though. Apache attempts to play nicely with commercial
products. If you as a part of your project wish to show details of
interoperability with commercial products, that seems fine to me. If you
wish to list commercial products based upon your code, that is fine too.

When it becomes not fine is when you start to show some kind of
favouritism. That is, when you are not prepared to do something for one
commercial enterprise that you have done for another.

This in itself can be a reason, in some circumstances, to avoid
mentioning commercial products, simply because the task of being
impartial would require more effort than is available. That doesn't
really seem much like it is the case in your situation.

> 6 months ago when doing some benchmarks against other Ldap server, we
> received a letter from Sun which was not exactly kind, so i'm wondering
> if we should simply ditch what we have done, or if we should limit the
> information to just referencing alternatives tools, or if we should
> avoid screen snapshots to avoid IP violations or any kind of
> image/design propertu violations, or whatever rstriction we should
> consider.

Well, anyone can send unkind letters. It depends entirely upon whether
there was any merit to what they said. Given that you have not hinted at
the content, I cannot make any judgement.

> Any insight from you guys will be welcomed :)

Hope this helps.

Upayavira