www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SWF - Format for demos or so?
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 01:32:51 GMT
I'm clueless - but it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal.
Wouldn't it be like having demos in Powerpoint presentations or Word
documents? Or (more problematically) using Photoshop to generate a GIF
files.

There seem to be three places where legal stuff could hurt:

1) The author puts it under a license we can't use. Easy enough and I
presume that it's ASF committers authoring the demo.
2) The tool has legalities that apply to the things that are generated
with it. I've never heard of such things, but it could apply.
3) The spec of the SWF has issues (patent?) that could apply. GIF
being the obvious example. I've never heard of this being the case.

Hen