www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brian Minchau <minc...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Copyright questions for Apache Xalan/Xerces
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:04:37 GMT

I have four questions below on updating our copyright information.

Apache Xalan is approaching a new release. It hasn't had one in a while so
the new rules at  http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html are
applying.

On that web  page it says this:
<<
Since contributors maintain their copyright ownership in the works they
submit, it is misleading to place the ASF copyright at the top of each
source file.

Previously there were Apache copyrights with various year ranges in our
code, but there won't be in the future.
1) Is it is OK to loose that information? I guess it must be, but could
someone confirm that for me please.

In general, where possible non-Apache copyrights should be moved to the
NOTICE file.
2) Is the NOTICE file intented to record which parts have copyright by
which companies and for which range of years?

Our xml-xalan/java/licenses/xalan.NOTICE.txt contains the following, in
part::

   Portions of this software was originally based on the following:
     - software copyright (c) 1999-2002, Lotus Development Corporation.,
       http://www.lotus.com.
     - software copyright (c) 2001-2002, Sun Microsystems.,
       http://www.sun.com.
     - software copyright (c) 2003, IBM Corporation., http://www.ibm.com.
     - voluntary contributions made by Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>
on
       behalf of the Apache Software Foundation that was originally
developed
       at Hewlett Packard Company.

3) Another Apache Xalan PMC member has noted that they think
  that those notices in the NOTICE.txt file  might need to be revised to
reflect on-going contributions, as follows, is that correct?

   Portions of this software was originally based on the following:
     - software copyright (c) 1999-2002, Lotus Development Corporation.,
       http://www.lotus.com.
     - software copyright (c) 2001-2006, Sun Microsystems.,
       http://www.sun.com.
     - software copyright (c) 2003-2006, IBM Corporation.,
http://www.ibm.com.
     - voluntary contributions made by Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>
on
       behalf of the Apache Software Foundation that was originally
developed
       at Hewlett Packard Company.

4) Must the NOTICES file be named exactly "NOTICES"?  Our is currently
named "NOTICES.txt"

Regards,
- Brian Minchau
Brian Minchau