www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re: The Createuve Commons Lic.
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:19:48 GMT
On 10/26/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> > I think it was a borderline license due to one of its clauses and not
> > mentioned in 3rd party as its usage at the ASF wasn't known, but it's
> > definitely in use at the ASF as Roller ships with icons licensed under
> > that license. I suspect it's crept in in quite a few places, and for
> > more than just images.
> >
> > Roller icons: http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/
> >
> > Cliff - do you recall what the problems were with creative commons?
>
> It depends on which CC license you're talking about.  Some of them do
> not allow commercial derivative works and some don't allow derivative
> works at all.  The one Hiram has a link to below is the most
> permissive, only requiring attribution.  The only problem with this
> license is that it explicitly denies the right to sublicense.

My usual dumb question - what's sublicensing?

My current level is that I get that we have all these bits in an
Apache release with lots of licenses on them, and that we license the
combination under the Apache license. Someone else then takes that and
adds a few other bits (or maybe nothing) and licenses that combination
under whatever they want as long as they obey the various bits in
there.

So for some of our projects this means there are parts of the source
code that are trickier to change than other parts.

How does sublicensing fit into this, and do the usual suspects (the
MPL/CDDL group and LGPL/GPL) allow sublicensing?

Thanks,

Hen