www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Permission to use Apache subproject logos
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:06:16 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> ok, thanks, I'll change that FAQ to this in a couple days if no
> objections emerge:
>
>   'Apache', 'Apache Software Foundation', the multicoloured feather, and
> the various Apache project names and logos are trademarks of The Apache
> Software Foundation, and are usable by others only with express
> permission from the ASF.  Contact the ASF Public Relations Committee
> <prc@apache.org> with all inquiries regarding trademark issues.

Literal reading of this means that if anyone wants to include an Apache
project logo in a presentation, say on an intro slide, then they need to
contact the PRC. Is that is what is required, seems to be a lot of
overhead? Could there be an FAQ about fair-use that was acceptable
without having to contact the PRC?

Or would this be covered under some general trademark law?

Dan.