www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clarification of license text policy for documentation
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:39:48 GMT
On 9/21/06, Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could someone please clarify whether or not the source file header
> text or the notice text is appropriate for visible documentation that
> is compiled as the collective work of an Apache project? Does the "may
> include" in the text quoted above mean that the source file header
> text or the notice text is sufficient if it appears on the front page
> of the javadoc or other generated documentation, and that it is not
> necessary to insert some kind of notice into each page of generated
> documentation? And if so, which is more appropriate, the source file
> header text or the notice text?

So there are a couple of FAQ entries that cover the basics of this:

* Does this policy apply to documentation files included in a release?
   -> Yes.
* Does this policy also apply to content displayed on our web sites?
   -> No. <snip explanation>

If it's a question of generated documentation as a part of site
authoring; ie) xdoc/anakia, xslt, then the 'Yes' for distribution
above applies.

If it's a question of generated documentation from tools, then I think
we have to go with it being a 'No', even if it is distributed. Trying
to figure out how to put it in the output of every tool is going to be
insane.

Hen