www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Finally posted: src file header and copyright policy
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:54:22 GMT
On 8/5/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
> Why would there be a Sept 1, 2006 deadline for this, and who set that?

I set it.  The original intention was to give the same two months
notice that was used for the last header change from Jan-Mar 2004
(IIRC).  Sept 1 is well over two months since I sent the accepted
board resolution to this list, but the detailed doc about it with FAQ
and all that was only posted and referenced here on July 16th (less
than two months before Sep 1).  In addition, I still haven't sent out
the broad notice to committers@ simply because (silly me thinking this
would be a minor issue...) there has not been consensus over where the
URL should be (have all legal docs in /legal or have some on /dev,
some /licenses/ and some /foundation).  I've taken the issue to the
site-dev list and expect we'll have something settled in the next day
or two.  After that, I'll finally send out the broad notice with
pointer to committers@.

Because of the delay in having all instructions and FAQ done and
broadly distributed, I've been thinking I should push the deadline
back.  In the mean time, I've been helping each individual project
that has pinged me about it.

> Is there some kind of "copyright emergency" we have to deal with?

Nope -- just addressing an important problem that we've known needed
to be fixed since way before I even had this job.

> I agree that sooner than later is better here, but it's summer (in the
> northern hemisphere), Europe is going on vacation en-masse (I never
> understand where they go - maybe they swap countries?), school is
> starting after that, etc, etc.

good point

> Can we make this 11/1 or even 1/1/07 given that there's no real emergency?

I don't see any problem with pushing this back to November 1st.  So,
while there's no emergency...do you really think  that projects would
need an additional *four* months after September 1 to get this done?
That seems unnecessarily long to me; at some point, the deadline is so
far away that people just push it off because they can and not for any
practical necessity.

Any other thoughts on this?  I think November 1 seems pretty
reasonable since that will be more than 2.5 months that every single
committer will have had notice and thorough documentation to get it
done.  And don't forget that not everything has to be changed by the
deadline; changes just need to be made to the next release after the
deadline, which for some project cycles may give another couple
months.

Cliff