www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Finally posted: src file header and copyright policy
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:01:21 GMT
On 7/23/06, robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 14:28 -0700, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> > > The content looks good.
> > >
> > > I would prefer that instructions to Apache committers be located
> > > under <http://www.apache.org/dev/>.  Linking them from legal is fine,
> > > but this is a policy from the board that should be treated like all
> > > the other documentation.
>
> IMO this is a decision that could do with some more thought.
>
> ATM infrastructure is charged with oversight of www.apache.org and in
> particular http://www.apache.org/dev/ but there really isn't very much
> content in there which isn't at least indirectly related to
> infrastructure.
>
> other groups within apache (for example legal, public relations,
> conferences) are now starting to create content for www.apache.org. so,
> we need to think about the right organisation for this new content.
>
> in terms of oversight, it seems more convenient to keep all
> documentation (whether aimed at committers or not) together at the top
> level and make each group responsible for overseeing everything under
> that directory.
>
> this strategy would create a little more work in terms of indexing. the
> generated sitemap wouldn't pick up committer content in these other
> areas but makes no difference to the manual links.

I actually agree with you, Robert.  I was just willing to go along
with Roy's suggestion because I personally didn't feel strongly about
it and just wanted to get it posted in one place and be done.
However, you are probably right to think about the big picture here.

Does anyone else have an opinion on whether all committer
guidelines/docs should live in /dev, rather than some place like
/legal or /prc or some other applicable top-level path?

(this is obviously not the right list to address this question, but I
can't think of the right list at the moment -- anyone else who does
should feel free to move it...site-dev?)

Cliff