www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Finally posted: src file header and copyright policy
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 00:06:43 GMT

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> I am a bit confused about what Robert is suggesting.  The goal should

I believe Robert is suggesting that we have a strategy for the site -
it sounds like you're aware of such a strategy but it's not information
that has remained in the community knowledge.

(...snip...)
> be to make it easy for people to find the right documentation and for
> us to edit the right documentation.  The documentation we are talking
> about is maintained by site-dev under the auspices of infrastructure
> because infrastructure is a President's committee tasked with that
> responsibility.  The fact that some of the existing documentation

site-dev doesn't have a lot happening with respect to www -
however this conversation needs to go to site-dev. Could you start things
by outlining the strategy below in an email there as a proposed way forward?

Mostly the content that's in your current email I suspect.

(...snip...)
> Right now, all of the documentation for "how to develop software at
> Apache" is under /dev/ except for the bits that have just recently
> been put under /legal/.  All of the software licenses that Apache offers
> to the world are under /licenses/ (and that is where export.html should
> be as well, since it is a list of export licenses).  All of the ASF
> as a Foundation information is under /foundation/ except for the bits
> that have just recently been put under /legal/.

We also have /jcp, and probably /prc or /press at some point soon.

(...snip...)
> If someone wants to take over the entire site design and build some
> new hierarchy of sensible documentation, that's fine with me.

Robert's doing a great job of moving the site documentation - I think all
we need is some passing down of knowledge on site-dev and things can move
along.

> Individual authors, OTOH, should respect the conventions that we
> already have on site.

I presume they do, in so far as they understand them. This is about
committees creating a presence and Infra not being prepared for that
(no barbs intended to infra, the information architecture of the site is
rightly so not high on their list of priorities).

Hen