www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby and the JCP
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:24:04 GMT

On Aug 4, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> IANAL, but I don't think there is a problem. Derby is not an
>> application.
>>
>> The only way you can run Derby that exposes JDBC4 functionality is by
>> running a User Application with Java SE 6. If a User Application
>> runs in
>> this environment, is is subject to the testing and evaluation
>> terms of
>> the license.
>>
>> So there is no need to encumber Derby NOTICEs with this disclaimer.
>>

> Rick quoted the wrong part of the spec license. The relevant part is
> this notice :
>
> "This is an implementation of an early-draft
> specification developed under the Java Community
> Process (JCP) and is made available for testing and
> evaluation purposes only. The code is not compatible
> with any specification of the JCP."
>
> Derby cannot be encumbered with this disclaimer, as it would make the
> combination of terms presented to the user inconsistent with Open
> Source
> - namely restrictions on field of use.

As we already discussed, Derby is not an implementation of the
specification. I don't see the need to encumber Derby with any
disclaimer.

So it seems that there are two kinds of programs that run into the
license issue: implementations (such as JRocket VM) and applications
(e.g. third party software that runs only on Mustang). Derby is
neither of these.

Craig

> geir

Craig Russell