www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby and the JCP
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:51:42 GMT
IANAL, but I don't think there is a problem. Derby is not an
application.

The only way you can run Derby that exposes JDBC4 functionality is by
running a User Application with Java SE 6. If a User Application runs
in this environment, is is subject to the testing and evaluation
terms of the license.

So there is no need to encumber Derby NOTICEs with this disclaimer.

Craig

> Geir Magnusson, Jr wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> > Rick Hillegas wrote:
> >
> >> "This is an application written to interoperate
> >> with an early-draft specification developed under the
> >> Java Community Process (JCP) and is made available for
> >> testing and evaluation purposes only. The code is not
> >> compatible with any specification of the JCP."
> >>
> >> We need your guidance:
> >>
> >> 1) Does this notice conflict with the Apache 2.0 license?
> >>
> >> 2) In particular, does this notice conflict with the AS IS
> clause of the
> >> Apache 2.0 license?
> >
> > 3) Is the restriction "made available for testing and evaluation
> > purposes only" acceptable for an ASF project?
> > (assuming that it means the restriction is on the application,
> not the
> > spec).
>
> Before we wander down into the rathole the question implies - namely :
>
> 1) who from the project was able to accept the license of the spec
> in a
> way that binds the ASF?
>
> 2)the code existed in the ASF repo before the spec was publicly
> available, so it's even arguable that we didn't use the spec to create
> the code.
>
> - lets see if we can get Sun to simply fix it by removing use
> restrictions in the spec license.
>
> (I do like #2 - that we had the code before the spec was released :)
>
> geir

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!