www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Clarification of NOTICE requirements in jar files
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:16:09 GMT
Hoping you can help resolve differing interpretations of the
requirements for NOTICE information in jar files regarding "use" of
3rd party jar files.

Geronimo includes a number of 3rd party jar files in a Geronimo
distribution. We handle the LICENSE and NOTICE requirements of these
3rd party jar files in the root directory of our distributions.

Geronimo jar files are included in the Geronimo distribution, but are
also available for download on ibiblio. We're currently working to
insure that all of these jar files include appropriate ASL license
and notice information.

Many of these Geronimo jar files "use" the 3rd party jar files (e.g.
create objects, invoke methods, etc). Some people feel that the
NOTICE files in Geronimo jar files need to contain attributions if
the jar file "uses" a 3rd party jar file (and the 3rd party license
contains terms like "redistribution and use". Others feel that since
the Geronimo jar files themselves do not redistribute the 3rd party
jar files, then the Geronimo jar files do not need to contain
attributions for the 3rd party jar files.

Can you comment?

FYI, here is the LICENSE file we're putting in the root directory of
Geronimo distributions -- https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/
branches/1.1.1/modules/scripts/src/resources/LICENSE.txt

--kevan