www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using javax.microedition.io
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:41:27 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The CLDC profile of Java MicroEdition refers to the Sun Community Source
> License (see below). Does this exclude ASF projects to have any;
>
> import javax.microedition.io.*;
>
> ??
>
> AFAICT, the SCSL doesn't discriminate between binary and source usages, and
> hindered Jini adoption in some ways, and that many of the requirements are
> incompatible with Apache licensing.
>
> The OSGi specification requires javax.microedition.io usages, and we need to
> get this sorted out in the Felix project.
>
> Clarification is greatly appreciated.

Would the 'import'ing of the class (as above) be covered by the licence
for the JSR 139 specification? It includes:

   Sun Microsystems, Inc. ("Sun") hereby grants you a
   fully-paid, non-exclusive, non-transferable,
   worldwide, limited license (without the right to
   sublicense), under the Sun's applicable
   intellectual property rights to view, download,
   use and reproduce the Specification only for the
   purpose of internal evaluation, which shall be
   understood to include developing applications
   intended to run on an implementation of the
   Specification provided that such applications do
   not themselves implement any portion(s) of the
   Specification.

JSR-000139 Connected Limited Device Configuration 1.1
(Final Release)

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr139/index.html
 follow the links to download the spec and then review licence.

Isn's the SCSL licence you quote just if you want to use the reference
implementation?

Dan.