www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby and the JCP
Date Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:25:32 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Bill Shannon wrote:
>> We've approved an update to the spec license for non-final specs that
>> removes the notification requirement for applications.  We'll be
>> publishing an updated version of the JDBC 4.0 spec ASAP, with luck
>> this week.  I hope this will address your concerns.
>
> Thanks Bill.
>
> Now for the next concern, which in a way is a more general concern. :-(
>
> For an ASF release, what are rules for the third-party items a release
> manager used to *build* the release? I'm not asking about distributing
> such items, just the use of them during the build process.
>
>>>From this discussion it seems clear that any use of a third-party
> licence that imposes a restriction on the resulting build is not acceptable.
>
> What about if the release manager belongs a select group of folks who
> can get some technology under a licence that does *not* impose
> restrictions, while the generally available licence does impose
> restrictions?

I would be curious to learn about how a project decided to get itself
into that situation.

> To provide a concrete example, use of the Mustang compiler to build
> Derby for its JDBC 4 features would seem to impose this restriction:
>
> "2.2 Binary Code. Sun grants to Licensee, a
> non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free and
> limited license to use the binary code portions of the
> Licensed Software internally for the purposes of
> evaluation only."
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/jdk-6-beta2-license.txt

Are these features in the Eclipse compiler yet?  Maybe a project in such
a position could use that ;)

> However, let's say the release manager is from Sun and gets an internal
> version of mustang without this restriction and builds a Derby release.
> Is the release acceptable to the ASF?
>
> [I have no actual idea what the plans are for using Mustang compiler
> with Derby and if the release manager who happens to be from Sun is
> planning a to get a non-resticted Mustang for his own use].
>
> There may also be issues with other third-party items that derby
> (optionally) uses to build such as JSR169 jars.

It's an interesting question.  We have related issues that we're
tangling with in Harmony wrt Windows, given the toolchain differences
between the MSFT toolchain and the GNU/Cygwin toolchain, but the issue
is different - it's about for-cost availability of some tools vs
redistribution rights, but I don't have any clear thoughts on this, as
the Windows in the first place has a cost barrier to acquisition...

geir