www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby and the JCP
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:17:22 GMT
Bill Shannon wrote:
> We've approved an update to the spec license for non-final specs that
> removes the notification requirement for applications.  We'll be
> publishing an updated version of the JDBC 4.0 spec ASAP, with luck
> this week.  I hope this will address your concerns.

Thanks Bill.

Now for the next concern, which in a way is a more general concern. :-(

For an ASF release, what are rules for the third-party items a release
manager used to *build* the release? I'm not asking about distributing
such items, just the use of them during the build process.

>From this discussion it seems clear that any use of a third-party
licence that imposes a restriction on the resulting build is not acceptable.

What about if the release manager belongs a select group of folks who
can get some technology under a licence that does *not* impose
restrictions, while the generally available licence does impose
restrictions?

To provide a concrete example, use of the Mustang compiler to build
Derby for its JDBC 4 features would seem to impose this restriction:

"2.2 Binary Code. Sun grants to Licensee, a
non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free and
limited license to use the binary code portions of the
Licensed Software internally for the purposes of
evaluation only."

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/jdk-6-beta2-license.txt

However, let's say the release manager is from Sun and gets an internal
version of mustang without this restriction and builds a Derby release.
Is the release acceptable to the ASF?

[I have no actual idea what the plans are for using Mustang compiler
with Derby and if the release manager who happens to be from Sun is
planning a to get a non-resticted Mustang for his own use].

There may also be issues with other third-party items that derby
(optionally) uses to build such as JSR169 jars.

Dan.