www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby and the JCP
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:36:27 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

[snip]

> Now, given that it's not an implementation as you so explain, I'm no
> longer worried about this aspect of the spec license, but I need to ask :
>
> Is Derby an "application written to the spec" ?  "application" isn't a
> defined term in the license.  I ask because those "application[s]
> written to the spec" are also encumbered in a way incompatible with an
> open source license, namely :
>
> "This is an application written to interoperate
> with an early-draft specification developed under the
> Java Community Process (JCP) and is made available for
> testing and evaluation purposes only. The code is not
> compatible with any specification of the JCP."
>
> Now, if Derby is not an "application written to the spec", then we have
> no problems.  Could you please clarify this for us?

Derby 10.2 being released with JDBC 4 support would be a complete
release, and includes all of this.

 - embedded JDBC driver - implements JDBC 4 in Java SE 6
 - client JDBC driver - implements JDBC 4 in Java SE 6
 - embedded database engine (only api is JDBC driver)
 - network server add-on
 - tools (scripting, system info, schema extraction)
 - test harness
 - test cases for harness including some testing JDBC 4
 - JUnit test cases including some testing JDBC 4
 - simple demo applications
 - scripts
 - source code for all (obviously references to JDBC 4)

Just wanted to be clear what "Derby" means in Geir's question so they we
aren't making decisions based upon different assumptions on what Derby is.

For example one might view the test harness as an "application" written
to JDBC 4 since it will execute JDBC 4 code through its test cases in a
Java SE 6 environment.

Dan.