www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby and the JCP
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 10:22:24 GMT

Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>

>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>> IANAL, but I don't think there is a problem. Derby is not an
>>> application.
>>>
>>> The only way you can run Derby that exposes JDBC4 functionality is by
>>> running a User Application with Java SE 6. If a User Application runs in
>>> this environment, is is subject to the testing and evaluation terms of
>>> the license.
>>>
>>> So there is no need to encumber Derby NOTICEs with this disclaimer.
>>>

>> Rick quoted the wrong part of the spec license. The relevant part is
>> this notice :
>>
>> "This is an implementation of an early-draft
>> specification developed under the Java Community
>> Process (JCP) and is made available for testing and
>> evaluation purposes only. The code is not compatible
>> with any specification of the JCP."
>>
>> Derby cannot be encumbered with this disclaimer, as it would make the
>> combination of terms presented to the user inconsistent with Open Source
>> - namely restrictions on field of use.
>
> As we already discussed, Derby is not an implementation of the
> specification. I don't see the need to encumber Derby with any disclaimer.

Are you speaking officially as a Sun employee?  If so, I'd be overjoyed
to resolve it this way.

If not, I think you'll need to point me to such discussion, because if I
recall correctly both Mark Reinhold (Mustang lead) as well as Lance
Andersen (JDBC4 lead) have asserted that anything implementing a JDBC4
driver is an implementation of the spec.

> So it seems that there are two kinds of programs that run into the
> license issue: implementations (such as JRocket VM) and applications
> (e.g. third party software that runs only on Mustang). Derby is neither
> of these.

It has an implementation of the JDBC4 driver, right?  According to Mark
and Lance, that's enough.

geir