www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby and the JCP
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:12:12 GMT

Craig L Russell wrote:
> IANAL, but I don't think there is a problem. Derby is not an application.
> The only way you can run Derby that exposes JDBC4 functionality is by
> running a User Application with Java SE 6. If a User Application runs in
> this environment, is is subject to the testing and evaluation terms of
> the license.
> So there is no need to encumber Derby NOTICEs with this disclaimer.

Rick quoted the wrong part of the spec license. The relevant part is
this notice :

"This is an implementation of an early-draft
specification developed under the Java Community
Process (JCP) and is made available for testing and
evaluation purposes only. The code is not compatible
with any specification of the JCP."

Derby cannot be encumbered with this disclaimer, as it would make the
combination of terms presented to the user inconsistent with Open Source
- namely restrictions on field of use.

official ASF policies and documents.