www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby and the JCP
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:04:42 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> "This is an application written to interoperate
>> with an early-draft specification developed under the
>> Java Community Process (JCP) and is made available for
>> testing and evaluation purposes only. The code is not
>> compatible with any specification of the JCP."
>>
>> We need your guidance:
>>
>> 1) Does this notice conflict with the Apache 2.0 license?
>>
>> 2) In particular, does this notice conflict with the AS IS clause of the
>> Apache 2.0 license?
>
> 3) Is the restriction "made available for testing and evaluation
> purposes only" acceptable for an ASF project?
> (assuming that it means the restriction is on the application, not the
> spec).

Before we wander down into the rathole the question implies - namely :

1) who from the project was able to accept the license of the spec in a
way that binds the ASF?

2)the code existed in the ASF repo before the spec was publicly
available, so it's even arguable that we didn't use the spec to create
the code.

- lets see if we can get Sun to simply fix it by removing use
restrictions in the spec license.

(I do like #2 - that we had the code before the spec was released :)

geir