www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Product name usage?
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:03:08 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Dion Gillard wrote:

> Resend:
>
> While reading
>
> http://www14.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/weblap/lap.pl?la_formnum=&li_formnum=L-EBAN-6Q2LKK&title=IBM%20WebSphere%20Application%20Server%20V6.1%20Feature%20Pack%20for%20SOA&l=en
>
> I saw the mentions of ASF software:
>
> * Apache Axis2 0.94
> * Apache Jakarta Commons Codec 1.3
> * Apache Jakarta Commons HttpClient 3.0
> * Apache Jakarta Commons Logging 1.0.4
> * Apache log4j 1.2.12
> * Apache Tuscany Subversion revision 383125
> * Apache Policy 3.65.707
> * Apache Woodstox 2.8.2
>
> What is the correct way for third parties to refer to our artifacts?
> e.g. should it be 'Apache Logging log4j' and 'Apache Web Services Axis2'?

Apache <Project> <Product> or Apache <Product>.

So Apache Tomcat was fine long before it moved to TLP, but Jakarta Tomcat
was technically not - it had to be Apache Jakarta Tomcat.

The above looks fine to me, though the bad side of allowing Apache
<Product> is that questions like 'wtf is Apache Policy?' crop up. Rather
bad product name as 'apache policy' gets a lot of noise.

The exception to the rule above is when something is in the Incubator.
You'd have to check with Incubator to get the latest on that, it's either
Apache Incubator Foo or Apache Foo under Incubation. At this late hour I'm
not sure which.

Hen