www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: virality of IBM's CPL ?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:33:22 GMT
On 7/24/06, Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> wrote:
> we discussed recently with a legal person to review our third-party
> dependencies and the person interpreted that any derived work of a
> CPL-licensed library should also be CPL; at it seemed, derived work
> might be any linking... so that would imply any jUnit test case or
> anything touching wsdl4j is under CPL... not what we expect !
>
> Can anyone please contradict me here ?

I don't know who you talked to - what ASF project are you working
with? Who did you talk to?

Per http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html (see Category B), the
ASF only allows CPL-licensed works to be used in binary form for our
projects - so linking against a CPL-licensed work is fine and we don't
consider linking to create a derivative work.  -- justin