www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@apache.org>
Subject Permission to use Apache subproject logos
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:02:23 GMT
I put this wording about using the Derby logo at
http://db.apache.org/derby/logo.html :

> If you would like to use the Derby logo outside Apache -- for example, for a t-shirt,
poster, flier, or whatever -- first obtain permission from the ASF Public Relations Committee
by emailing your request to prc <AT> apache.org.

Is this guideline correct or incorrect?

I'm asking because I'm getting push back (off list) from Derby
developers who think the Derby logo is available under the Apache
License 2.0, just like the product is. In other words, freely reusable.

I think the logo is not freely reusable under the Apache License 2.0,
but largely based on Cliff Schmidt's ApacheCon presentation titled
"Licensing: What Every Apache Contributor Should Know" at
http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/Eu2005OnlineSessionSlides , specifically:

1) slide 8 talks about trademarks as generally distinctive symbols,
pictures, or words
2) slide 15 says the Apache License 2.0 does not include trademarks

But, now, if I have misunderstood or been too rigid regarding the Derby
logo, here's your opportunity to set me straight :-) and I'll gladly
update that Derby web page.

So, are Apache subproject logos freely reusable? Or do they require
permission to reuse? I'll offer to add the answer to
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#Marks .

thanks,

 -jean

P.S. I'm not posting this question to prc@a.o because the answer needs
to be in a place where any committer can see it.