www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: New copyright header policy
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2006 23:46:24 GMT
On Jun 4, 2006, at 1:30 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> Because we also publish them as individual files (see subversion,
>> viewcvs, websites, etc.).
>
> So basically every file that is invididually accessible through
> subversion (which means pretty much all of them) needs to have such a
> header to be under ASL?
>
> The ASL is not GPL and people can pretty much do everything they
> want with it.
> So why this effort?

The file doesn't "need" it in any sense of that word.  The people who
want to copy the file might need it, particularly if they receive it
from a third-party who has copied it for use in a different product.
Think of it as friendly documentation that says the recipient can use
the file for other things, regardless of how it was received.

....Roy