www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New copyright header policy
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2006 15:47:53 GMT
Cliff Schmidt wrote:
<snip/>
> Before I send this out to committers@, I thought I'd start by sending it
> here to collect and answer any FAQ-type questions.  So, here's the new
> policy; hit me with any questions you have.
<snip/>
> B. SOURCE FILE HEADERS
>   0. This section refers only to works submitted directly to the ASF by
> the copyright owner or owner's agent.
>   1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in
> it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
>     a. remove such notices, or
>     b. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
> project release, or
>     c.  provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
> relocation of the notices.
>   2. Each source file should include the following license header --
> note that there should be no copyright notice in the header:

My understanding of B.2 is that we are going to have to replace the
source header on every single source file we distribute. Is this
interpretation correct?

If it is the case then it would be worth adding an explanation of why
we need to make these changes as otherwise it looks like the board is
mandating projects expend what could be significant effort for no
appreciable benefit.

Mark