www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New copyright header policy
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2006 01:44:30 GMT
On Jun 3, 2006, at 6:08 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> I am not arguing against this change, but speaking as someone who did
> the 1.1 to 2.0 licence change for Tomcat 4 I know this will deflect
> effort from other tasks and re-iterate my recommendation that the
> announcement of this requirement is accompanied by an explanation of
> why it needs to be done, and not just "because the board says so".

Hi Mark,

I see your point; I will add some explanation when I send it out to
committers@.

The short version is:  since contributors maintain their copyright
ownership in the works they submit, it is misleading to place the ASF
copyright at the top of each source file.  The ASF notice represented
the copyright ownership in the collective work of the entire
distribution, but placing it at the top of each source file was
causing a lot of confusion.

The actual resolution passed by the board includes a little
explanation for the issues that needed to be addressed in the WHEREAS
paragraphs.  Here's an unofficial copy (official minutes aren't out
just yet):

          WHEREAS, the copyright of contributions to The Apache
          Software Foundation remains with the contribution's owner(s),
          but the copyright of the collective work in each Foundation
          release is owned by the Foundation,

          WHEREAS, each file within a Foundation release often includes
          contributions from multiple copyright owners,

          WHEREAS, the Foundation has observed that per-file attribution
          of authorship does not promote collaborative development,

          WHEREAS, inclusion of works that have not been directly
          submitted by the copyright owners to the Foundation for
          development does not present the same collaborative
          development issues and does not allow the owners to consider
          the Foundation's copyright notice policies;

          NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that for the case of copyright
          notices in files contributed and licensed to The Apache
          Software Foundation, the copyright owner (or owner's agent)
          must either: remove such notices, move them to the NOTICE
          file associated with each applicable project release, or
          provide written permission for the Foundation to make such
          removal or relocation of the notices, and be it further

          RESOLVED, that each release shall include a NOTICE file for
          such copyright notices and other notices required to accompany
          the distribution, and be it further

          RESOLVED, that the NOTICE file shall begin with the following
          text, suitably modified to reflect the product name
          and year(s) of distribution of the current and past releases:

            Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
            Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

          and be it further

          RESOLVED, that files licensed to The Apache Software
          Foundation shall be labeled with the following notice:

            Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
            or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
            distributed with this work for additional information
            regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
            to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
            "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
            with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

            Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
            software distributed under the License is distributed on an
            "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
            KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
            specific language governing permissions and limitations
            under the License.
          and be it further

          RESOLVED, that for the case of works that have not been
          directly submitted by the copyright owners to the Foundation
          for development, the associated copyright notices for the work
          shall not be moved, removed, or modified.

Cliff