www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New copyright header policy
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 23:08:16 GMT
On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> And moving it to the NOTICE file, AIUI.  Along with other copyright
>>> notices as applicable.
>
>> No.  We are moving the ASF copyright notice.  If someone or some
>> entity
>> wants us to move their own copyright line as well, then they can
>> ask us
>> to do so (or do it themselves if they have commit access).
>
> I meant that our goal is to have the copyright notices in the
> NOTICES file,
> not that we would move them without permission.
>
>> Leave [embedded copyright] as is, or add our license header above the
>> copyright line and remove the header below the copyright line,
>> leaving
>> the copyright line as is.
>
> So are we going to end up with a lot of files with:
>
> 	Copyright 2005 Every
> 	Copyright 2005 Tom
> 	Copyright 2006 Dick
> 	Copyright 2006 and
> 	Copyright 2007 Harry
> 	Copyright 2007 and their brothers
>
> with everyone EXCEPT for the ASF sticking their two cents in there?
> Copyright becomes the new @author tag?
>
> Is a copyright entry acceptable only for an initial contribution,
> and not
> thereafter?  Or what?  And, yes, I understand that PMCs can make
> decisions,
> but we really ought to have a policy to prevent things turning into
> copywrong.

Let me know if the policy I've written isn't clear about this, but
here's what it says -- and this part comes straight from the board
resolution:

 > B. SOURCE FILE HEADERS
 >    1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice
 > included in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
 >      a. remove such notices, or
 >      b. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
 > project release, or
 >      c.  provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal
 > or relocation of the notices.

There is no option for someone to leave the copyright notice where it
is for works submitted directly to the ASF.

Here are a few of the scenarios; tell me if the policy isn't clear
about this:
1. Don't move copyright notices for third-party works, including old
stuff and future stuff.
2. All ASF copyright notices will be removed from source files of
releases after July 31st, replaced with the ASF notice in the NOTICE
file.
3. We should not be accepting source files including a copyright
notice of the committer/contributor into a project.  We should reject
the contribution if one of the three options in section B.1 cannot be
taken.
4. If we find source files that are part of the code developed at
Apache (not third-party files) with copyright notices for some other
entity other than the ASF, leave it as is; or if you want, ask the
copyright owner to take one of the options above.  I don't think we
need to remove the existing file, and we shouldn't remove their
copyright notice.

Cliff