www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New copyright header policy
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2006 15:24:00 GMT
On 04/06/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffs@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2006, at 6:51 PM, sebb wrote:
>
> > On 03/06/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffs@apache.org> wrote:
<snip/>

> >>    2. The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
> >> third-party notices.  The NOTICE file may also include copyright
> >> notices moved from source files submitted to the ASF (see B.1.).
> >>

> > Are there any rules for delimiting the additional notices to make it
> > easier to see their boundaries?
>
> I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking here.  There
> are some licenses that require a particular attribution be included
> in every distribution.  The NOTICE collects these various
> attributions and notices so that they are always carried forward in
> future distributions.

Sorry, I was confusing the NOTICE and LICENSE files here.

Notices are short (probably one paragraph), and it should be obvious
where one ends and the next one starts. Unlike licenses, see below.

> There are also some licenses that require that the entire license
> itself be included in every distribution; these licenses should *not*
> be copied into the NOTICE file.  Copying into the NOTICE file would
> make it a lot bigger/convoluted, rather than a simple file with
> notices.  Also, it would cause confusion about the distinction that
> the LICENSE file includes or references all applicable licensing
> terms and the NOTICE file is just for attribution notices.

"Includes or references"

If the LICENSE file "includes" all the licenses, is there a
preferred/mandated way to indicate where one ends and the next one
starts?

If using "references", what is the preferred/mandated way of doing this?

It would be useful to have some simple (and more complicated) examples
available.

Sebastian