www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Legal Advise required for Axis2 C project on using third party software
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 04:33:31 GMT
On 5/9/06, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On 5/8/06, Sanjaya Ratnaweera <sanjaya@wso2.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For Axis2 C project we need to use minizip package.
> >
> > http://www.winimage.com/zLibDll/minizip.html
> >
> > Minizip license is same as zlib license.  It's attached with this mail.
> > Minizip does not have an installable library. Therefore we wish to build
> > minizip with axis2 C, create a library and install it. For that we want
> > to ship minizip with axis2 C.
> >
> > I am not doing any source code changes to Minzip.  I only  create a
> > library from source code which is not provided by minzip.
> >
> > Is it ok to ship minizip source with their license inside Axis2 C project?
> >
> > Please advice me whether the above scenario is ok with Apache licensing
> > or not.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but it sure looks ok to me.  A mention in the NOTICE
> file, comment in the source indicating that it's been modified, and
> retention of that notice in the source seems like it would fulfill all
> the requirements, no different from several similar examples in APR
> and APR-Util.  I would, of course, recommend that you wait for someone
> like Cliff to confirm that it's fine before doing anything about it
> ;-)

+1

I'd only add that you should be sure to either place a copy of the
license in the distribution's  LICENSE file (somwhere after the Apache
License) or have a pointer within the LICENSE file to where this
license can be found.  This is actually the current policy for any
third-party license.  See the last couple sentences of
http://apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new.

Also, once I finally do one last revision on this and make it
official, you will see the zlib license on the list of licenses
already approved for distribution.  See
http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#category-a.  I'll
continue to add popular requests to these lists, but since this
license has identical text as the zlib one, it wouldn't require
asking.

Cliff