www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Legal Advise required for Axis2 C project on using third party software
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 02:58:49 GMT
On 5/8/06, Sanjaya Ratnaweera <sanjaya@wso2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For Axis2 C project we need to use minizip package.
>
> http://www.winimage.com/zLibDll/minizip.html
>
> Minizip license is same as zlib license.  It's attached with this mail.
> Minizip does not have an installable library. Therefore we wish to build
> minizip with axis2 C, create a library and install it. For that we want
> to ship minizip with axis2 C.
>
> I am not doing any source code changes to Minzip.  I only  create a
> library from source code which is not provided by minzip.
>
> Is it ok to ship minizip source with their license inside Axis2 C project?
>
> Please advice me whether the above scenario is ok with Apache licensing
> or not.

I'm not a lawyer, but it sure looks ok to me.  A mention in the NOTICE
file, comment in the source indicating that it's been modified, and
retention of that notice in the source seems like it would fulfill all
the requirements, no different from several similar examples in APR
and APR-Util.  I would, of course, recommend that you wait for someone
like Cliff to confirm that it's fine before doing anything about it
;-)

-garrett