www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CCLA: "by combination" language
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 16:57:45 GMT
Jim Barnett wrote:
> If they are worried, they can simply not
> contribute where they have a patent that is either necessary to use
> their contribution or is likely to become necessary through subsequent
> development in the project.  If they don't have necessary or likely to
> become necessary patents when they make the contribution, don't bother
> applying for such patents after making the contribution.

How can one determine which patents are "likely to become necessary
through subsequent development in the project"?  The scope of a project
can change over time in unpredictable ways.  This sounds to me like a
potentially unbounded set, and provides little legal comfort.

Doug

[ These are my opinions, not those of my employer. ]