www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CCLA: "by combination" language
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 23:39:28 GMT
Jim Barnett wrote:
> But I think that there is another side to the issue.  Were Yahoo! not
> the contributor but rather a licensee for the project's output, wouldn't
> it trouble Yahoo if the combination patent license grant were limited to
> the project output as of the date of the contribution?

In my opinion (not speaking for Yahoo!) this clause provides no
guarantee of patent-free code.  There are many ways for patented
technologies to enter into Apache code, and it is impossible to detect
them without lawsuits.  So the goal of this should be to nullify blatant
contributions of patented technologies.

I think the intent of this language is to say, "It's not kosher to
contribute patented stuff and then sue folks over it."  It makes sense
to enforce this when it is clearcut: if someone contributes something
that they should reasonably have known they had a patent over, then they
should be forced to license it freely.  But without the clarification,
there's no reasonable way to know this, since others can modify the
contributions after the fact to cause them to implement a patent.

Doug