www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: User application code uploads to asf wikis
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 23:00:28 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Jean T. Anderson <jta@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The user modified his wiki pages to license his sample code under the
>> lgpl. Since this code won't be checked into the derby repo and won't be
>> distributed in the derby software, I'll assume this isn't a problem
>> unless somebody says otherwise.
>
> We're hosting this on wiki.a.o, right?  If so, I'd be more comfortable
> with him hosting his LGPL code on his own server rather than using us
> and our wiki as a distribution channel for his LGPL code.  -- justin

OK. How's this for a friendly notice on the Derby wiki, keeping in mind
that end users are often completely naive where licensing is concerned:

Feel free to upload any example code to the Derby Wiki that you yourself
have developed and have the right to license under the Apache License,
Version 2.0 (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt). For
example, include the boilerplate below with the year and name filled in
with your own details:

   Copyright 2006 John Doe

   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.

Sample code under a different license should be hosted elsewhere, but
feel free to link to it from this Wiki.

Is this reasonable? adequate?

thanks,

 -jean