www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: crypto export documented policy
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 21:48:36 GMT
On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 15:51 -0700, Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> On 5/8/06, robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> > http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform talks about including a
> > notice in a README file. wouldn't the NOTICE file be a much more
> > appropriate place for this notice?
>
> Excellent question.  I could actually go either way on this one, but
> here was my rationale:
>
> The information is not legally required to be distributed with the
> product; it's just a good idea to let our users know how we classify
> the software and remind them that they should make sure they are
> covered if they export/reexport it.  Whereas copyright notices or
> other author attributions certainly belong in the NOTICE file (not the
> README), nothing requires that we ensure this text is retained with
> all future derivative works.
>
> What's the downside of including it in the NOTICE?  Clutter.

ok: makes sense now

might be worth considering altering the phrasing. could be read as if it
might be a legal/policy requirement rather than a recommendation about
best practise.

it's not a legal necessity and so there isn't any reason why it should
be exclusively contained in a README. some projects may want to consider
including the statement elsewhere (in addition to the README) if it that
makes sense. for example, if users are unlikely to read a README then
the statement could be repeated within the standard documentation. for
projects shipping bare artifacts (for example, jars), it might be a good
idea to include a CRYPTO.txt containing the statement in the META-INF.

any objections to me altering the document to add a little extra
explanation along those lines?

will also add some notes to the release documentation section stating
the policy for the NOTICE file (thanks roy) and cross-referencing the
information in the crypto documentation.

- robert