www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: CCLA: "by combination" language
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 02:18:03 GMT
On May 24, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> Just to be clear, you do realize that the patent license is clearly
> only for the Apache product -- yes?  We're not talking about a
> license for some other product that your competitor sells that
> includes inventions that read on some patent claim of yours.

Patent licenses are not attached to expressions, unlike copyright.
It is very hard to say for sure whether selling a separate product
that contains the Apache product (even if it doesn't use it) has
been licensed and thus the patent exhausted.  More to the point,
we shouldn't have to care -- we want contributors to participate
based on the understanding that contributions are made under RF terms.

....Roy