www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: StAX API source license
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:30:17 GMT

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> - I doubt that the fact that it is distributed under APL 2 means you can
> check this is an ASF repo... I do not think, unless a donation happened like
> in the case of JAXP I think, we the ASF claim any ownership and I believe
> folks expect ASF ownership on ASF versionning servers. Why would you want to
> commit the sources under ASF ?

Can't see any reason why you wouldn't. The main reason to do so would be
to create a fork, either for or not for distribution. The original project
might not be responsive to bugfixes and an ASF project would find itself
needing to manage its own version; or you might find yourself needing a
version modified and compiled for JDK 1.2/1.6 etc.

As long as you abide by the license of the incoming code (ie: add a note
to NOTICE.txt and don't strip their copyrights out with the BSD variants),
I think we're okay. If you were forking something (and not just having a
.jar for build purposes), I imagine it would be a useful thing to include
in your board report.

Hen