www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dittert, Eric" <eric.ditt...@intel.com>
Subject JCP spec licensing (was RE: StAX (JSR 173) API source license)
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:40:25 GMT

Siegel
>> (Sun Legal) and Harold Ogle (Sun JCP) to get this clarified and
>> cleaned
>> up on the JCP JSR 173 site.
>
>Good luck.  I tried to do that for JSR 170 and was blocked by
>Sun legal (Jonathan Nimer).  ...

I am not familiar with the conversation around the licensing of the spec
for JSR 170, or what might have been proposed there.  With that caveat,
I do have a few comments:

The licensing of a JCP specification does have conditions placed on it
by the JSPA (http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/JSPA2.pdf).
IANAL, but it appears to me that AL2 does not meet those conditions.  It
is probably not fair to blame Jonathan for insisting that those
conditions be adhered to.

That said, I would be interested to know if one of the following were to
occur:
- A JCP spec lead proposes to use a specification license which (at
least arguably) does meet the conditions of the JSPA, but still
encounters obstacles.
- A particular desirable use of a particular JCP spec is blocked because
of the JSPA conditions.  I know there are a number of philosophical
objections to various pieces of the JSPA; what I am looking for here is
concrete, practical examples.

Finally, just a note that the JCP Executive Committees *are* elected
(well, mostly) and I know most of the representatives feel that they
represent the community as well as their particular organizations.  So
if licensing or other issues working with the JCP arise, I am certainly
willing to hear about them and do what I can, as I am sure Geir is, and,
as I said, most of the other EC reps (who are all listed at
http://www.jcp.org/en/participation/committee).

Regards,
Eric