www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jim Barnett" <j...@bea.com>
Subject RE: [stax_builders] Re: StAX (JSR 173) API source license
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:32:49 GMT

From: Guillaume Nodet [mailto:guillaume.nodet@worldonline.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:44 AM
To: stax_builders@yahoogroups.com
Cc: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: [stax_builders] Re: StAX (JSR 173) API source license

Tatu Saloranta wrote:

> --- nodetguillaume <guillaume.nodet@worldonline.fr>
> wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to clarify the license for the
> > api jar on stax
> > codehaus site ?
> > It is said that the implementation is under ASL, but
> > nothing is said
> > about the spec jar.
>
> This would be good, but this is completely dependant
> on BEA. No one else can get things resolved; and
> progress has not exactly been stellar so far. ;-/
> (although other people like Alek and myself have
> access to repository, we are not BEA employees, and
> BEA as the spec sponsor owns many of copyrights, as
> bounded by JSR/JCP process I think)

Then it would be nice to say on the site that the api spec is not
licensed under ASL.
I just need clarification for the license of the api jars available from
stax.codehaus.org, I did not
meant any relicense (yet).

> > Also, what about the 1.0.1 jar of this api ? Is this
> > an official
> > update of the api ?
>
> No: API is identical to 1.0; but since the
> implementation of one particular part of
> XMLInputFactory had a bug (NullPointerException if
> jaxp.properties file existed, but had no entry for
> javax.xml.stream.XMLInputFactory), this was fixed in
> source. Thus, a patch build. Not even obvious error(s)
> were fixed (like XMLOutputFactory.newInstance(...)
> return XMLInputFactory), since official release would
> require official action from the WG.
>
> Also, I am bit puzzled by this rumor that there are
> multiple incompatible versions of StAX API. I have
> seen the claim multiple times... but never actual
> explanation as to what is supposed to be different. Is
> this just a rumour/misunderstanding, or is there an
> older revision of the API floating around?

Just that it seems very unclear what the reference spec jar is,
what the license for the tree different jars are, etc...

Also, i ' m not even sure we can rewrite a specification jar only.
The licensing terms of the RI are not very clear (for me) on that point.
It seems that implementation have to pass the TCK, or something like that,
but what about the api ?

I think it would be easier to just rewrite it under an Apache license...

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

> -+ Tatu +-

> 	Builder software
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Builder+software&w1=Design+software&w2=Builder+software&w3=Api&w4=Software&w5=Streaming+software&w6=Forms+software&c=6&s=110&.sig=tZAMBsqDcQz-ZNNFYep46g>

> 	Api
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Api&w1=Design+software&w2=Builder+software&w3=Api&w4=Software&w5=Streaming+software&w6=Forms+software&c=6&s=110&.sig=8mzg_qkYJ4BHxfXDB6zczA>

> Software
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Software&w1=Design+software&w2=Builder+software&w3=Api&w4=Software&w5=Streaming+software&w6=Forms+software&c=6&s=110&.sig=uYQRNcc7lzg-cIhHM8lBfw>

> 	Streaming software
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Streaming+software&w1=Design+software&w2=Builder+software&w3=Api&w4=Software&w5=Streaming+software&w6=Forms+software&c=6&s=110&.sig=ZMqhP42snRw0Gj9ZtN74tw>

> 	Forms software
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Forms+software&w1=Design+software&w2=Builder+software&w3=Api&w4=Software&w5=Streaming+software&w6=Forms+software&c=6&s=110&.sig=d6QL1k6jfwJU6DGERqhHPA>

>     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

by email and then delete it.