www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jim Barnett" <j...@bea.com>
Subject RE: StAX (JSR 173) API source license
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:29:49 GMT
Thanks for the head's up Roy.

Now that you mention it, IIRC I think that the Java Spec Participation Agreement does lump
the API into the Java Specification category by definition.

Hmm...

Generally BEA gets beat about the head and neck by Sun on JSPA licensing issues like everyone
else.  We may end up, as you did at Day, with a Spec license covering the API.

That would be most unfortunate because it would mean that to use the API a developer would
have to obtain and use a TCK to test implementations including the API.  It would also require
implementation of the complete specification rather than merely a part of it.

That is not always be practical or logical from a business/developer perspective.  I also
think Sun itself is struggling with this very issue on the EJB 3.0 front where they have committed
to having separate standalone TCKs for different aspects of the Spec (Persistence comes to
mind) but the JSPA doesn't contemplate having one JSR with subsetted Specification and bifurcated
testing requirements.

I'll try and talk to Sun today about this.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy T. Fielding [mailto:fielding@gbiv.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:00 AM
To: Jim Barnett
Cc: Legal Discuss
Subject: Re: StAX (JSR 173) API source license

On Apr 24, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:

> It is BEA's intent to offer both the "official" API and RI files
> for JSR
> 173 under the ASF 2.0 license on the JCP website for JSR 173.  I am
> working with Thorick Chow, the new BEA JSR 173 Spec Lead, Ellen Siegel
> (Sun Legal) and Harold Ogle (Sun JCP) to get this clarified and
> cleaned
> up on the JCP JSR 173 site.

Good luck.  I tried to do that for JSR 170 and was blocked by
Sun legal (Jonathan Nimer).  We (Day Software) were allowed to
distribute the RI and TCK under ASF 2.0 licenses, but the API
was forced to remain under a spec license.  Perhaps Sun will be
a little more flexible for BEA.

....Roy

by email and then delete it.