www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: JCP spec licensing (was RE: StAX (JSR 173) API source license)
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:20:58 GMT
> a TCK, no NDA for a TCK, no RAND nonsense, etc.  And if you were to
> implement a subset not permitted by the Specification, then you would not be
> permitted to use the standard package space owned by the Specification,
> e.g., you could not use javax.foo, but you could use com.yourco.bar.

My understanding was that we, as JSPA signatories, can't even do that.
 We can only release code that passes the complete TCK if the subject
matter is even tangentially related to an approved JSR.  For example,
I thought we are forbidden to release anything related to Servlets
(javax.foo or even entirely in an org.apache namespace) unless it
passes the Servlet TCK in its entirety.

Is that a correct interpretation as to how things stand now with Sun?
Or, am I misunderstanding it?

Thanks.  -- justin