www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JCP spec licensing (was RE: StAX (JSR 173) API source license)
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:25:33 GMT
Dittert, Eric wrote:
> The licensing of a JCP specification does have conditions placed on it
> by the JSPA (http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/JSPA2.pdf).
> IANAL, but it appears to me that AL2 does not meet those conditions.  It is probably
not fair to blame Jonathan for insisting that those
> conditions be adhered to.

My opinion as "consumer" of these specs, or at least the source code of
their APIs : I dare say that if this is true the whole JCP and its
outcomes is something I should take more time to mistrust.

I hope strongly to have this cleared in favor of an Apache Public
License possible licensing which, I thought, Sun was politically
somewhat supportive of (they have more and more Open-source corporate
advertisement).

Actually, wasn't JAXP donated to ASF ? (e.g. see [1])
Would it also be constrained by such ?

paul

[1]
http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2005/board_minutes_2005_08_17.txt