www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Request For Comment] Third-Party Licensing Policy
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:08:45 GMT

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 3/15/06, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> I am not fine with such a bundling, since it affects redistribution
>> of ASF code. Of course, everyone knows my thoughts on non-compatible
>> licenses and redistributing, so I won't go into that. But my
>> thoughts on bundling is that it creates an impression that
>> we are "OK" with such blurring of licensing. Having a
>> seperate download makes it V. clear what is and what is
>> not AL-licensed and what is "officially" ASF packages.
>
> Let me try to restate what I believe you are saying so that it's
> clear: we can only distribute packages that are licensed entirely
> under the ALv2.  This means that anything not directly licensed under
> the ALv2 can't be redistributed at all.  This means that substantial
> chunks of httpd must be removed to comply (anything BSD-licensed,
> etc.).
>
> Is this correct?
>
> To be clear, what I intend is as follows:
> - It is okay to have code in SVN that is under MIT, BSD, ASLv1.1, etc.
> - It is okay to distribute binaries from our servers that is under
> CDDL/MPL/etc.
> - It is never okay to have code in SVN or distribute software under
> GPL/Sleepycat/etc.

The license works hard to explain the various issues, but these three
lines are the important part to most of us - and I think it's a good line
to draw. Category B is painful for many languages, but I think the current
situation is that those licences mostly affect Java and it's not an issue
there.

So +1 from me.

One questions:

* When shipping MIT/BSD/ASLv1.1/ASLv2.0 etc; ie) Category A - should we
distribute the source as a general policy? ie) The policy should go out of
its way to encourage people to ship source, not just say that it is
allowed.

Hen