www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [Request For Comment] Third-Party Licensing Policy
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:20:17 GMT
On Mar 17, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> Well, if the board ever decides to loosen the restriction to allow two
> or three options for Apache projects to license their work under, I
> will revise the third-party licensing policy's principle to say
> something like, "The ASF must be able to distribute works created
> within an Apache Project solely under one of the board-approved
> licenses for Apache project works."  This would still address the
> concern I have that we don't use licenses in third-party works that
> would restrict our ability to license works created in projects within
> whatever the board-constrained licenses are.
>
> But until that day, I think the principle is fine the way it is.  I'm
> not asking for a discussion about whether the ASF should change how
> project-created works are licensed.  This is a discussion about a
> policy for inclusion of *third-party works*.

Well, right now it is documentation, and generally it is preferred
for our documentation to use correct English.  You need to look up
the definition of "principle" and see why that doesn't make any sense,
and why I am arguing with you about such a tiny thing like the
central topic of my dissertation (principled design), because until you
fix it there will be a lot of pointless cross-chatter due to what is
written not matching what you intend.  As is shown by Merriam-Webster:

   Main Entry: principle
   Function: noun
    1 a : a comprehensive and fundamental law, doctrine, or assumption
      b (1) : a rule or code of conduct
        (2) : habitual devotion to right principles <a man of principle>
      c : the laws or facts of nature underlying the working of an
          artificial device
    2 : a primary source : ORIGIN
    3 a : an underlying faculty or endowment <such principles of human
          nature as greed and curiosity>
      b : an ingredient (as a chemical) that exhibits or imparts a
          characteristic quality
    4 capitalized, Christian Science : a divine principle : GOD

    Main Entry: constraint
    Function: noun
    1 a : the act of constraining
      b : the state of being checked, restricted, or compelled to avoid
          or perform some action <the constraint and monotony of a
          monastic life -- Matthew Arnold>
      c : a constraining condition, agency, or force : CHECK
          <put legal constraints on the board's activities>
    2 a : repression of one's own feelings, behavior, or actions
      b : a sense of being constrained : EMBARRASSMENT

Saying something is a principle is equivalent to saying that it
cannot be changed, that it is inherent, or that any discussion
of the point is moot.  If you are going to use it, then at least
add a preamble saying that "Here are some constraints laid down by
the ASF Board of Directors that apply to all ASF projects.  We will
treat these constraints as the guiding principles of this policy;
if the constraints are changed by later act of the Board, this
policy will have to be revised accordingly."

....Roy