www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Two weeks left for comments! (was: [Request For Comment] Third-Party Licensing Policy)
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:27:54 GMT
On 3/29/06, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> I think you should remove it -- among other things, it places a
> policy restriction on ourselves that is contrary to open source
> principles.  Users of our software should be allowed to link with
> anything in their environment.  We should not be prohibited from
> creating the bridge code between open source and proprietary systems,
> provided that none of that code is distributed in our products.

I thought the policy was simply about what we distribute, not about
what our users can do.  From my conversations with Cliff he seems
perfectly fine with us distributing (for example) something liked
against a GPLed (or even proprietary in some cases) libraries, as long
as we're not distributing them.  What he's hoping for is a rewording
of the statement so that is clear.

> For example, Maven would have to be gutted under that policy, and
> all of our JSR-based projects would be terminated, including
> Geronimo, JAMES, and Jackrabbit.

What are thos projects doing that would be prohibited?  I'm not as
familiar with that portion of the ASF as I'd like to be, so I'm
honestly not sure what the problem would be.

-garrett