www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [Request For Comment] Third-Party Licensing Policy
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:33:20 GMT
On Mar 17, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> On 3/16/06, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> Well, yes, that is typical of commercial software companies.  Note,
>> however, that the vast majority of our *users* are simply using
>> Apache
>> software in-house with no external distribution.  They can modify
>> that
>> software to their heart's content because they have the open source.
>
> But, Roy, as you know, there are very few requirements of users (as
> you define them) in *any* open source license, including the GPL.  The
> whole point here is determining what licenses are acceptable to those
> who do want to externally distribute our software.  The Apache users
> who get their software directly from us and have no concern about ever
> needing to distribute it outside their organization should be fine
> with just about any open source license.

Yes, assuming they are given the source code that was used to build
the Apache product.  That is our public, our mission is to serve *them*,
and redistributors that only redistribute binaries to their users are
not respecting that mission.  That's okay by me, but it removes them
from consideration when we decide how best to accomplish the ASF
mission.

If we happen to have a policy that makes such redistributors happy,
that is a "nice to have", but under no circumstances has it ever been
a principle of the ASF, or the Apache Group for that matter.  For us,
the Apache License is a tool that is used to accomplish our mission
within the bounds of legal precedence -- it does not define the mission
in and of itself.

....Roy