www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [Request For Comment] Third-Party Licensing Policy
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:46:20 GMT
On 3/15/06, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> I am not fine with such a bundling, since it affects redistribution
> of ASF code. Of course, everyone knows my thoughts on non-compatible
> licenses and redistributing, so I won't go into that. But my
> thoughts on bundling is that it creates an impression that
> we are "OK" with such blurring of licensing. Having a
> seperate download makes it V. clear what is and what is
> not AL-licensed and what is "officially" ASF packages.

Let me try to restate what I believe you are saying so that it's
clear: we can only distribute packages that are licensed entirely
under the ALv2.  This means that anything not directly licensed under
the ALv2 can't be redistributed at all.  This means that substantial
chunks of httpd must be removed to comply (anything BSD-licensed,
etc.).

Is this correct?

To be clear, what I intend is as follows:
 - It is okay to have code in SVN that is under MIT, BSD, ASLv1.1, etc.
 - It is okay to distribute binaries from our servers that is under
CDDL/MPL/etc.
 - It is never okay to have code in SVN or distribute software under
GPL/Sleepycat/etc.

My hunch is that we might be saying the same things, but getting wires
crossed. -- justin