www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jagunet.com>
Subject Re: [Request For Comment] Third-Party Licensing Policy
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:16:08 GMT

On Mar 15, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> Anything that dilutes that goal should
>> be actively avoided.
>
> No.  Our goal is to distribute open source that is usable by everyone.

Just as I said. And we help accomplish that via our
selection and detailing of the License.

> The license we use to do that changes over time.

"changes"? Refines, yes. But are you suggesting that
a "change" to a GPL-type license would be acceptable?
I don't. There are some ground-rules.

>  The additional restrictions
> that the first two add do not adversely impact any of our users.

Which, as I mentioned, I am not, and we should not,
be concerned about *UNLESS* it affects redistribution which
prevents it from being usable by everyone.

> Beyond that, I don't agree with the theory that Apache products can't
> be dependent on third-party code under some other license.

The concern I and others have is hard-dependency. If the Apache
product is worthless without the 3rd party code, then the
code should be AL-compatible.

>   I don't
> see any harm in Apache producing the best interconnection software
> between, for example, Java and Oracle 10i, both of which are
> proprietary
> systems with incompatible licenses.  That doesn't mean I think we
> should be redistributing Java or Oracle 10i, but it does mean we need
> to have flexibility in precisely defining license conditions according
> to the leeway we have with the interface.

+1