www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [Request For Comment] Third-Party Licensing Policy
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:19:32 GMT
On Friday 17 March 2006 09:25, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Note,
> however, that the vast majority of our *users* are simply using Apache
> software in-house with no external distribution.

Hmmm... I disagree that this is relevant, and might even be harmful to the ASF
to have such 'attitude'... Let me elaborate;

First of all, 5% of 10million is still a lot of people...

But more importantly;
Companies are flocking around the open-source projects that are friendly to
their business. Software companies do so, just like other business. However,
John Doe's PizzaCorner running an Apache server (a user!) will never ever
contribute any developer back to ASF or open source for that matter. The
closer to the "we distribute software" end of the scale you go, the more
likely it is to see "paid for" resources being contributed into ASF projects.
Or other business friendly projects, like the Eclipse foundation.

By actively persuing the idea that we are Ok with imposing additional
restrictions (more than now) on Apache sources, may drive some of these
companies to re-consider their use of Apache sources, and with that drop
their employees from the contribution list.

My suggestion; Don't go there...

Cheers
Niclas