www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Licensing table?
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:06:28 GMT

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Martin Cooper wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Jesse Kuhnert wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to find a definitive answer somewhere regarding whether or
>> not it is ok to bundle(and download from asf servers) third party software
>> distributed under a BSD style license. This is specifically for the BSD
>> license provided by http://dojotoolkit.org.
>
> Just to be clear, if you are asking about Dojo, you are asking about the
> Modified BSD license, rather than the original BSD license. Dojo is dual
> licensed under the Academic Free License v. 2.1 and the Modified BSD license,
> the latter because the FSF deems it GPL compatible.

Not sure if there's much out there that is under the original BSD license,
until it gets really legal I think the modified part is assumed.

>> I have found this wiki page for the jakarta people, but it indicates that
>> this isn't an official page but more of an understanding.
>> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/LicenceIssues.

Yep, and more importantly it's quite dated. One of my quests this year is
to hassle Cliff relentlessly into making an official version of that
page :)

>> My questions in summary are, are BSD style licenses compatible with
>> jakarta apache projects in such a way that outside project code can be
>> downloaded with these licenses from the ASF? (assuming that the normal
>> licensing inclusion/other guidelines are followed) If there is no
>> definitive answer to it yet, what might be the best next step I can
>> take to get more clarification?

Going by community policy, the (modified) BSD license is fine to depend on
and to include in a distributable/svn. Just make sure you follow the
licence, ie) add a paragraph to your NOTICE.txt that specifies that you
are using that library, there's a stock paragraph that you should be able
to find in other project's NOTICE.txt.

So unless someone else pipes up with an issue, you can go ahead and
include the dependency. As far as I'm aware, you wouldn't be doing
anything by depending on a BSD licensed work that other parts of the ASF
aren't doing already.

Hen