www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject ASF Process
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:21:37 GMT

We received this question, along with some questions about the legality of
some code in Jakarta Commons Net.

"What is the process for Apache contributor to follow before using any
other open source? "

It's not something for which the answer jumps to mind, because our rather
organic methods of oversight etc feel quite weak when I try to describe
them as a process. ie, my thought was to answer with:

"Process-wise, the community around a codebase is sensitive to
dependencies on other open-source projects and question the addition when
the legalities are non-obvious.

When committers have questions, a mailing list (legal-discuss) exists to
talk unofficially with other committers and lawyers; and Cliff Schmidt,
our VP of Legal Affairs, exists to channel the official answer to the ASF
legal represenation. "

Is that a fair couple of paragraphs?

Hen